I Keep Mocking My Friends Unknowingly- Is It Socially Acceptable?
|A sweet simple mockery between friends is acceptable
It has to be stopped at some point in time
Is Mockery - An Immoral Act?The term mockery, also spelled as mocking is the act of taunting or insulting a certain individual or order to irritate a person in a way that portrays unflattering features. In certain circumstances, mockery takes place in a gentle and lighter manner while at times it can be quite cruel and hateful. Mocking is the most common form of verbal violence usually noticed in schools. Mocking in most cases has been observed to be the domain of girls as compared to boys, it has been equally noticed in boys as well. Instead of using a physical form of bullying one prefers to make use of mockery in order to dominate an individual and boast superiority over the victimized one.
One's habits, interests, style of dressing, way of talking, skin color, unique names or surnames and height are some of the specific reasons where an individual may fall prey to mockery. In school settings or educational institutions, it has often been observed that children who are dedicated to studies have been exposed to mockery and bullying by their peers.
While students who had shifted to an English medium school from another school where vernacular used to be the first language had to meet the same fate not only from their peers but at times from the teaching staff of the concerned institutions. Along with financing one's child's education, it is a guardian's pivotal responsibility to check on the emotional development of their children. The teachers as well play a very important role in inculcating values into the pupils and restrain immoral acts in children.
Role of Parents in Preventing Mocking / Bullying
Don't Spread Negativity- Your Child Learns From You, Imitates YouAwareness regarding mocking and bullying has increased drastically in the last 30 years among a large section of parents. More understanding and awareness is yet to be achieved by parents. A section of parents have now become sensitive to the signs and effects of mockery or bullying in children . Though parents are yet to realize how their behavior at times might affect children in a negative way and lead them towards mocking or bullying their fellow mates. The behavior of parents do play a pivotal role in preventing unhealthy mockery and bullying among children if they succeed in modeling positive social skills in children. Conversation can be counted as the first step in the preventive measure.
Read: Why Do Best Friends Think Alike?
Listen to the Child- Don't Blame Them Without Knowing- You Don't Know What Your Child Is Going ThroughParents who talk to their children for a minimum duration of at least fifteen minutes a day increase the probability the children will seek their advice in case they are bullied. If parents come forward with such topics directly and share their own experiences in relation to mocking or verbal bullying, children and teenagers feel supported. This helps them understand strategies for defending themselves as well as standing up for others. Parents need to handle the situation sensitively in case their child is the victim of the situation. It is of utmost importance that the child or teenager should be consoled and taught strategies for dealing effectively against such situations, rather than blaming the child instead.
Teach Your Child Not To Use Terms That Mocks or Demean Others
Parents may help prevent mockery or bullying if they project inclusion and tolerance towards others. Parents should encourage their child or teenager to think from the perspective of another individual in case the peer group acts inappropriately. Guardians must not use derogatory language in front of their children, neither should they demotivate their children and misbehave with their children in public. They must also teach their children that they should never use terms that mock or demean others.
Role of Teachers in Combating Bullying
Is It Hard to Track Bullying in School?Preventing and eliminating mockery and bullying in school is one of the most important responsibilities of a teacher. Education must be imbibed in a safe ambiance. Tracking bullying often becomes harder for teachers, as in maximum cases bullying remains hidden and children or teenagers often do not have a clear idea on how to respond to bullying. There are circumstances where bullying does gets reported but it is often ignored due to various social prejudices such as "bullying happens to be a natural part of a child's development" or "it is a childish behavior" and so on.
What Measures the Schools Must Take to Identify/Restrict Bullying?
1. Empathize With the Child- Let Him/Her Express What He/She's Been Going ThroughApart from syllabus based studies, the inculcation of values should be the foremost objective of every educational institution. Teachers need to talk about bullying or mockery both into the classroom as well as personally with the victim if he or she has been identified. Empathizing with the child or teenager in such situations will allow them to express themselves openly.
2. Formulate Effective StrategiesVictimized individuals should be engaged in enjoyable activities in order to help him stay emotionally stable. Teachers must help the child formulate effective strategies in order to boldly yet tactfully deal with such circumstances.
3. Look Into The Matter Seriously- Consult a Mental Health Professional if RequiredThe bullies or mockers, on the other hand, would be able to realize the unethical side of mocking. In case the child gets traumatized due to repeated occurrence of the same issue-in such circumstances an in-house mental health professional must be consulted if available or the parents must be given an account of the occurrences.
Emotional Stability of the Bullies
Amidst helping the victim of mockery and bullying, an important point needs to be kept in mind that along with the victims of bullying the bullies also are in need of psychological assistance. One should not regard their behavior as just the portrayal of aggression. These aggressive behaviors should be timely addressed otherwise it would soon get converted into a lifestyle. Childhood is the correct time to address, intervene and work on such issues. Children teenagers or even adults who are victims of aggression or domestic violence at home or who may have been dominated or bullied by older siblings may direct their hurt or distress towards their fellow mates or the colleagues.
There is a difference between constructive criticism and mocking/bullying. Constructive criticism is logical which usually comes from one's parents and teacher regarding a specific domain which they want us to work on. Whereas continuous ridicule and humiliation is something completely different. Instead of finding flaws within one's own self, the victim needs to realize that the person bullying him/her is psychologically unsound.
The person in authority trying to address and eliminate bullying is not supposed to focus on punishment. Punishing the bully may not be enough successful in controlling aggressive behavior. The emphasis must be laid on converting the offensive behavior of the individual into a socially acceptable one. It is important to show them that they are accepted but not their argumentative behavior.
Measures to Provide the Bullies with Psychological Assistance
1. An Explanation of the Act to be Addressed to the BullyParents, teachers or Mental Health professionals or any authoritative figure in charge of addressing the situation have to sit with the concerned individual and describe him/her about the behavior in a calm and composed manner providing them an explanation of how it is recognized as a form of bullying.
2. The Effect/Impact of the Act Should be Explained NicelyThe individual should be given a clear understanding of the impact of his or her behavior on the person at the receiving end. One needs to figure out the exact scenario from the perspective of the person who had bullied his fellow mates.
3. Need to Undergo Mental Health Counseling if Required
The one who had taken to bullying should be made to undergo counseling so as to help them tackle their aggression effectively. This will also help them imbibe socially acceptable behaviors.